Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

hanami
Senior Contributor

Art for Healing

Art for Healing 

Would you like to incorporate some creative expression into your self-care routine? 

One of my favourite ways to practice self-care is to pick up a pencil or paintbrush and let loose. Having recently started studying art therapy I thought it could be a fun idea to post some arty activities that could be beneficial to our members’ healing journey. The aim is to post one activity each week and then pin it so people can try it out either that week or later on. But if you have any other ideas, please let me know. These are your forums so it’s important to hear what you think! 

A super important note: 

Art as therapy can be healing but it can also bring a lot of issues to the surface. I am studying art therapy BUT I am not an art therapist. If anything does come up from participating in any of the exercises, please talk to someone from your mental health team. All the activities I’ve chosen are adapted from the work of qualified art therapists. At the beginning of each exercise I’ll pop in a sentence about the benefits it may bring. If an exercise says a benefit may be recognising emotions and you are feeling pretty vulnerable that day, you be the judge of whether that activity is a good one for you on that day. 

Art therapy is all about expressing yourself so try not to judge your work. Stick figures or detailed work can be equally beneficial! 

hanami_1-1691380277821.jpeg

Please tag anyone you think may be interested who I might have missed!!!

@Shaz51 @Dimity @NatureLover @outlander @Eve7 @Meowmy @MDT @Christheart @Fluttershy1 @creative_writer @Captain24 @Birdofparadise8 @Snowie @StanD @TAB @StuF @Jacques @Bow @CrazyChick @SmilingGecko @Anastasia @wellwellwellnez @pinklollipop15 @Faith-and-Hope @Zoe7 @greenpea @oceangirl @Former-Member @Judi9877 @Adge 

56 REPLIES 56

Re: Art for Healing - HEALING SYMBOLS ACTIVITY

Healing Symbols 

Benefits: 

Increases self-esteem and coping skills 

Symbols can have many interpretations according to a person’s beliefs. Healing symbols are images that evoke peace and are very personal. Finding strength in symbols can feel empowering. You can find inspiration from animals, logos., nature, or everyday objects. When times become challenging, you can refer to your healing symbol as a support mechanism. Consider hanging your healing symbols in your home as a reminder of your self-development. 

Steps: 

1. Choose a symbol that represents your healing process. 

1. Print an image of the symbol from the internet. 

1. Use tracing paper or a light box to transfer the image to paper. 

1. Fill in the image with paint and add colour to the background. 

Questions to think about or talk about on the forums 

Did anything emerge in your piece that surprised you? 

How can you incorporate your symbol into your day? 

hanami_1-1691383156555.jpeg

Re: Art for Healing - HEALING SYMBOLS ACTIVITY

That sounds great @hanami 

I will try to have a go ❤️

Re: Art for Healing

great thread @hanami

👍🎨 🖌️  Agreed ❣️

Thankyou for inviting me @hanami I love this. 💜

Great ideas and thread @hanami 

I wish I was even a little artistic!!

Love it @hanami especially the wide range of symbols you have offered.

It reminds me about an art therapy class I have considered.  I have many symbols hanging in my house.  Tapestries, leadlight, paintings, photos.  I have pinned up little cards of Victorian endangered species on my curtain aand other social justice symbols.  

That sounds amazing @Appleblossom ! ❤️

Hey @Snowie 

100 per cent doesn't matter if you have zero artistic ability! xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance