Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 19th October, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Fair enough @chibam . Well at least you are here. We appreciate you and your thoughts.

BPDSurvivor

Very interesting @Daisydreamer , love to be more involved @periwinklepixie , @cloudcore 

Social media can be such a double edge sword @chibam 

It can in a way make us feel connected but can also be overwhelming and triggering. I have often found connecting to advocates who use humour in their advocacy in online spaces a fun way to still be in the loop without it being too much.

Well done @BPDSurvivor , you changed someone's life ❤️

"I'm like a dog with a bone and I won't let go unless I see change." @BPDSurvivor Heart Like many other advocates, it sounds like you have found yourself in the advocacy space from your passion for supporting others and ensuring fair and equitable access to services

Agree @Former-Member ,

Language plays a huge part. 

Within MH, the word "consumers" is slowly considered a no-no. 

There has been a huge movement in the inclusion space to ensure we name the person before the condition.

e.g "a person with an impairment" versus "an impaired person"

What you said about social media is soo true @periwinklepixie 

@cloudcore wrote:

For the community, what kind of advocacy have you engaged in or received?

I've made submissions to several inquiries - and before that I wrote letters to politicians.

I've described for people my ordeals - both inside and outside of the system; the overall structural/ideological problems that I percieve at being at the heart of all my woes; and my ideas about how things could be made better for the future.

It is often very trying; revisiting past bad experiances and documenting them in detail. Staring deeply into the hopelessness of your own plight. And trying very, very hard to try to express yourself in such a way that people who are of a completely differant mindset might properly understand you. (And never knowing whether or not you are actually being understood! Smiley Frustrated)

Question 3. What are some top tips for self advocacy?

For the community, what has worked for you?

Language is so complex isn't it @BPDSurvivor 

For example, many people in the disability community prefer identity focused language. For example,I tend to prefer to call myself 'disabled' and 'mad' and a lot of people prefer this. But often we are told by others this is not okay. Which can make advocating difficult when we don't agree on what to call ourselves! haha! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance