Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // "You don't have to be isolated as a carer" // Tues 26th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

@SA64 wrote:

First thing you need to do is ask questions about what supports are available for you.  I went through so many services and not one of them mentioned carer support.  Not one.  I had no idea there was help for me.  So ask.  And keep asking.  If you are someone who has trouble advocating for yourself, please find someone to help you with this.

^^^This is great advice, @SA64:ok_hand:

Re: Topic Tuesday // "You don't have to be isolated as a carer" // Tues 26th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Question 7: What key message do you hope forum members will take away from this discussion?

Will totally try my daughter @BPDSurvivor , @Daisydreamer , @Rhye , @SA64 

My mum is very very independent 

I have made a appointment with her doctor to talk about the next step xx 

@Daisydreamer  Question 7: What key message do you hope forum members will take away from this discussion?

Look, when we are carers and everything is happening, your life just shrinks down to that one focus, on the person you are caring for.  We contract, our life contracts.  Even so, even in this contraction, you don’t have to be alone.  You don’t have to be isolated.  Reach out.  Ask for what you need.  Do not feel guilty about asking for what you need.  You are doing an amazing job, take care of yourself!

@BPDSurvivor So glad you shared that, because you've described that experience to a T! We will all need a crash course in how to be human in front of other humans 😁

@SA64 wrote:

Look, when we are carers and everything is happening, your life just shrinks down to that one focus, on the person you are caring for.  We contract, our life contracts.  Even so, even in this contraction, you don’t have to be alone.  You don’t have to be isolated.  

This is so powerful @SA64 and such an important message Heart 

@Rhye wrote:

@BPDSurvivor So glad you shared that, because you've described that experience to a T! We will all need a crash course in how to be human in front of other humans 😁

Yes @Rhye , and for those who have been in extended lockdowns, we need to re-learn to dress properly waist-down!

Thank you for sharing that final message @SA64 . Just keep fighting, isn't it?

I appreciate the time you have spent with us tonight 🙂

@Shaz51 It's great that you've been able to make that appointment, and I hope that her doctor can provide the right advice. Let us know how you get on.

HA, embaressingly true Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance