Re: Topic Tuesday Tonight starting at 7pm AEST - BPD: Debunking the myths

As a parent of a teen with BPD I feel that the teen has to recognize and accept they gave have BPD before any DBT program can be engaged upon. Diagnosis was the hardest thing or us to achieve. 4 years of severe depression anxiety suicide attempts and it was not until my research with the DSM that I chose to give her the label. Since this time I can honestly say we have moved in a far more positive direction,

@Former-Member, every time your little blue bird comes up, I smile and feel nice.

You may also have what I have......a tendency to take onboard elements of BPD traits when under stress.

another question,

reading about all mental health types, i seem ot meet all the criteria for most mental health problems known, i even meet the criteria for schizophrenia except i do not hear vioces or hellucinate, is it possible for one mental health problem to trigger another? or for one to alter into another?

@Raven

It sounds like your GP has a problem with communicating effectively.

You are right, there is medication for anxiety but that takes the edge off your emotions.  There is no pill that gives you the skills and strategies to change the way you relate to people.  It's up to the individual to decide if they want to change or not.  That doesn't mean we are bad people, it just means we are happy with how we are living our lives.

@Shadow

So sorry to hear this.  And cross.

It's because MH staff think schizoaffective is a biological disorder and BPD is a bratty bad behaviour one that is under our control and just attention seeking.  It is thought that all mental illness has an environmental component which means put anyone under the right amount of stress and people display mental health symptoms that present different in everyone.  

@astrengthinever

You are a gutsy person. how awful what you have gone through as a parent. I can empathise as have experiences of my own.

@Jacques

Biploar and BPD can co-exist, but the link between schizophrenia and BPD is not a strong one.  You either have one or the other.  With BPD there can be pseudohallucinations which are not quite voices or hallucinations.  There can be brief episodes of psychosis with BPD as well as delusions.  These tend to be short lived, no more than a few days.  With enough stress even the strongest person who has not displayed mental health symptoms before can become severely unwell.  Long term prisoners in isolation for many years can have hallucinations and hear voices.

In my limited knowledge but experience with DBT I think it would be helpful to learn in school. With my theory being that you could get more practice in using mindfulness before some people have been using unhelpful coping for a while or to prevent even beginning unhelpful behaviours

Thank you but the gutsy one is my daughter. She is the one that bs put in the hard yards over the last 12 months

Can I just thank everyone for coming and chatting here today...

I've had a shitty few weeks at work and starting to wonder if they are right, and it is just my behaviour, and I'm "just being a child".

This is reminding me that I have a mental illness. It is real, it is treatable.

Woman Very Happy Woman Very Happy